Saturday, April 4, 2015

It's Christmas

General Conference is today!  Many of the missionaries say conference is better than Christmas.  It will be wonderful for us to be fed by the General Authorities and Officers of the Church.  I can see the analogy of Christmas -- preparation goes into being ready to listen and learn.  Then we are spiritually fed.
Elder Brent Nielson came to visit us and met with the MLC last week.  He is in the First Quorum of Seventy who President Felix reports to.  He will be speaking Sunday morning at conference.  He explained that when invited to speak they are given the session and the time allotted for their talk.  They are not given a specific topic.  I read from Elder Hales that it is with much fasting, prayer, studying, and pondering that they come to find out what message the Lord wants to be given.  
Elder Nielson told us the big challenge is to get people to ACT not be acted upon.  2 Nephi 2:14.
All creations are acted upon but we are to act.
We learned that when you become a leader in the Church, there is no "they".  If things aren't going well, you take care of it.  We should always be looking to act.
He suggested in preparation for the meeting we all study two of Elder Bednar's talks.  You may want to read them from the Ensign:
The Atonement and the Journey of Mortality - April 2012
Bear Up Their Burdens with Ease - May 2014
The plan is to have trials.  That is how we grow.  On a mission we are stretched.
Alex AhMu, one of our missionaries who recently returned home, sent me the following poem:
The Highs and Lows of a Mission
A mission is a strange experience
It is a trial and a test.
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet teaches you the best.
I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken,
I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant,
He's never been so near.
I've never been so discouraged,
I've never been so full of hope.
I feel I could go on for forever,
I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had it quite so easy,
I've never had it quite so tough.
Things have never been so smooth,
Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys,
I've never ascended more peaks.
I've never met so many nice people.
I've never met so many freaks!
I've never had so many ups,
I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles,
I've never had so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely,
I've never had so many friends.
BOY, I hope this is over soon.
GOSH, I hope this never ends.

I brought this poem up to some of the missionaries while they were waiting for their interview with President Felix.  They feel this is how it is.  I thought it would be good for their parents to read it.


1 comment:

  1. From what I can tell, this is exactly how Elder Ruby feels. Sometimes all those emotions in one day! It is a wonderful, growing experience we are all enjoying together. Our family was able to attend the Saturday Morning session of Conference and my husband and other son went to the Priesthood Session. It was a wonderful experience!! Thank you again so much for your blog. It is a treasure to me and our family!

    ReplyDelete